Out and About

 

 

 

 

Earlier Walks and Visits

 

Links

The Historic Houses, Gardens, and Walks Gay Group

WALKS THROUGH THE HISTORIC DISTRICTS OF LONDON

Pictures courtesy of London-GB.com

The group aims to bring together gay people who are interested in the history and architecture of London and the Home Counties. It has been operating for over a decade. The programme consists mainly of walks in the various districts of London, though there may also be occasional visits to historic properties, museums and gardens.

There is no membership fee nor any charge for the walks. Also, there is no need to book in advance The emphasis is on informality. In summer the walks usually begin at about 2.00 p.m. and in winter at 1.30 p.m. They normally last about a couple of hours, or so, usually finishing at a convenient pub. (The pub attendance is not compulsory!) Typically 30 plus people attend these walks.

Walks normally start and finish near an Underground, Overground, DLR, or Rail station, though very occasionally a short bus journey may be involved. A provisional programme for much of 2016 is given below but this programme may be subject to change in the weeks preceding each monthly walk, so please regularly check the website for updates.

 

PROVISIONAL PROGRAMME 2016

Sunday 9 October 2016 – Stamford Brook to Kew Bridge via Chiswick House Click here for details

Sunday 13 November 2016 - Westminster to Holborn

Sunday 11 December 2016 - Westminster Abbey to Westminster Cathedral via Millbank

Sunday 8 January 2017 – Peckham Rye to Surrey Quays

 

Stamford Brook to Kew Bridge Walk - Sunday 9 October 2016

© Copyright Stefan Czapski

Licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

This walk explores a stretch of the north bank of the River Thames starting at Chiswick Mall and finishing at Kew Bridge. The first important section of the walk is along Chiswick Mall which has several claims to fame, as well as now being lined with attractive houses. In 1864, John Isaac Thornycroft, founder of the John I. Thornycroft & Company shipbuilding company, established a yard at Church Wharf at the west end of Chiswick Mall. The shipyard built the first naval destroyer, HMS Daring of the Daring class, in 1893. The gardens of Bedford House on Chiswick Mall were the original site of the Griffin Brewery. Beer has been brewed in the area for over 350 years. Lastly, the novel Vanity Fair (1847/8) by William Makepeace Thackeray opens at Miss Pinkerton's Academy for Young Ladies in Chiswick Mall. The last section of the walk is along Strand on the Green. The area is renowned as a particularly picturesque part of London. A footpath runs along the bank of the river, overlooked by numerous imposing 18th-century houses and local pubs. One of the houses overlooking the river (No.65) is marked with a blue plaque noting that the 18th century portrait painter Johann Zoffany lived there at the end of his life. The actor Donald Pleasence lived in Strand-on-the-Green. The film director John Guillermin lived at No.60 (The Dutch House). The newspaper publisher Sir Hugh Cudlipp, and the botanist and explorer of Australia Allan Cunningham have both lived at No.21. The painter Joshua Compston lived at No.75. The musician Midge Ure lived at No.70 (Zachary House) in the 1980s.  Other more recent residents in the area include the actor Rhys Ifans, and the television entertainers Ant and Dec.

Please meet at 2.0 p.m. outside Stamford Brook tube station.

For directions of walk click here

 

Transport for London Journey Planner

To be added to the circulation list for regular updates email: info@outandabout-london.org

Tel: 020 8989 5295 or 07785773917

 

Updated:  23 September 2016